- Screen Colours:
- Black & Yellow
BENEDICTINE PRIORY OF SNAPE
About the year 1155 William Martel, in conjunction with Albreda his wife, and Geoffrey their son, gave the Manors of Snape and Aldeburgh to the Abbot and Convent of the Benedictine house of St John, Colchester. The founders intended that a prior and monks should be established at Snape subject to St John’s, and this was speedily accomplished. The Priory, by the foundation charter, was to pay the Abbey annually half a mark of silver as an acknowledgement of its submission. The monks of Snape were to say two Masses every week, one of the Holy Spirit and the other of Our Lady, for the "weal" of William and Albreda, and, after their death, Masses for the Departed. The abbot of Colchester was to visit the cell twice a year, with twelve horses, and to "tarry" for four days. In 1163, Pope Alexander III confirmed to the Prior and Brethren of St Mary Snape, the churches of Freston and Bedingfield.
The taxation roll of 1291 shows that there were then appropriated to this priory the churches of Snape, Bedingfield, Freston and Aldeburgh with its chapel, producing an income of £23 6s. 8d. The lands, rents, and mill brought in £21 12s. 1d. a year, and other temporalities £11 19s. 7½d.; so that the total annual income was £56 18s. 4½d. [For what it's worth, those amounts equate respectively to £23.33, £21.60, £11.98 and £56.92]
Upon complaint made by Isabel, Countess of Suffolk and patroness of the abbey, to Boniface IX (pictured left), that the abbot and convent of Colchester did not maintain a sufficient number of religious at Snape, according to the founder’s directions, the Pope, by Bull dated 10th January 1399/1400, made this Prior independent and exempt from all control by the Colchester Abbey — but whilst this matter was still in hand, the Abbey of Colchester had sufficient influence to stir up the Crown against this papal action. On 3rd May 1400, commission was issued to John Arnold, serjeant-at-arms, to arrest John Mersey (monk of St John’s, Colchester and Prior of Snape), which Henry IV claimed as of the King’s patronage, as Mersey had obtained divers exemptions and privileges prejudicial to the abbey from the court of Rome, and was proposing to cross the seas to obtain further privileges. He was to be brought before the King in Chancery, and to find security that he would not leave the Kingdom without the Royal Licence, or obtain anything prejudicial to the Abbey in the Court of Rome. On 16th July, Mersey was still at large, for the commission to arrest him was renewed and its execution entrusted to four serjeants-at-arms. The upshot of the dispute was favourable to the Abbey, but the final agreement was not reached until 1443.
Pope Sixtus IV, in 1472, confirmed the priory in its possession and privileges, but with no statement as to independence. Archdeacon Nicholas Goldwell visited this priory, as commissary of his Brother the Bishop on 20th January, 1492/3 — Prior Francis produced his accounts, and the commissary found nothing worthy of reformation. There is record of another visitation of this small house in July 1520 — the visitor reported that everything was praiseworthy, considering the number of the religious and the income of the Priory. The Prior was ordered to provide another Brother, and to exhibit an inventory of the condition of the house at the Synod to be held at Ipswich at the ensuing Michaelmas.
This Priory was one of those numerous small religious houses of East Anglia for whose suppression, in favour of a great college at Ipswich, Cardinal Wolsey obtained Bulls in 1527-8. It was at that time valued in spiritualities at £20 per annum, and in temporalities at £79 1s. 11½d (£79.10), yielding a total income of £99 1s. 11½d.
After Wolsey’s attainder, the site and possessions of this priory were granted to Thomas, duke of Norfolk, on 17 July, 1532. He owned nearby Framllingham Castle, as well as being the uncle of both Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard.
|PRIORS OF SNAPE|
|John Colcestre, 1307||John Norwych, 1439|
|Gilbert, occurs 1311||William Cambrigge, mentioned 1441|
|Thomas de Neylond, 1327||Henry Thurton, resigned 1489|
|Simon de Elyton, 1349||John Barney, 1489|
|John de Colne, 1349||Thomas Mondeley, 1491|
|Robert (? Richard) de Colne, 1360||Francis, occurs 1493|
|Richard de Bury, 1372||Richard Bells, 1504|
|John de Grensted, 1385||Richard Stratford, 1514|
|John de Mersey, 1394||Richard Parker, 1526|
|John Wetheryngsete, died 1439|
© https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/suff/vol2/pp79-80 — this copy is made (with the correction of typos and addition of two images) to ensure its security.