Parish Council Minutes – August 2016

SNAPE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Snape Parish Council Meeting, held on Monday 22nd August 2016 7.00 pm at

Snape Village Hall

Present: Cllr Matt Roberts – Chair. Cllr Tim Beach – Vice Chair, Cllr Mike Hill, Cllr Bill Hough, Cllr Mary James, Cllr Neil Parsons, Cllr Marion Walker.

In Attendance: 2 members of the public.

OPEN FORUM

A member of the public complained that the hedges and pathways were overgrown and could be dangerous. When leaving The Glebes, the high hedges make it dangerous to join the main road. Highways are going to write to landowners to cut their hedges back.

A councillor mentioned that a post on the bridge at the Maltings had come out and the dog bin has been leant up against the side of the bridge resulting in dog walkers not using the bin.

Action: The Clerk will write to Highways about the poor visibility when leaving The Glebes.

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Cllr Russ Rainger, Cllr TJ Haworth-Culf, Cllr Maureen Jones, Cllr Andrew Reid, Cllr Graham Woodcock. Cllr Helen Stuart.

2. DECLARATION OF INTEREST

Cllr Mike Hill declared an interest in the school.

3. TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 11th JULY 2016 7 PM AT SNAPE VILLAGE HALL

The minutes were approved by all, Proposed: The Chair, Seconded: Cllr Bill Hough.

4. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

a. VAS

Cllr Tim Beach and Cllr Neil Parsons met with Cllr Andrew Reid and David Chennery on Friday 19th August 2016. It was stated that the speed system is not fit for purpose and should be packaged up and returned to Radarlux for inspection. Suffolk County Council will be responsible for the equipment. It was suggested that no other council had had problems with this type of equipment but the battery life is determined by the quantity of vehicles going through the village. It was stated that data taken from the signs indicated that they recorded almost 1.5 million vehicles passing. Technical advice sought from Radarlux suggests that the current batteries are too small to cope with this volume of traffic with the need for frequent charging.

Action: Cllr Tim Beach will send the equipment back for inspection, together with the volume of traffic for each sign. Cllr Neil Parsons will send Data with each sign.

Cllr Tim Beach will e-mail David Chennery to say that the equipment will be sent back and it would be useful to have some speed restriction signs in the meantime.

b. ALLOTMENTS

It has been decided that Anglia Water do not own the track where the dangerous tree overhangs and Suffolk County Council haven’t made any acknowledgement of ownership. It appears that the footpath is unregistered. The work on the hedges and trees was discussed and after considering the revised quote from Paul Bush it was decided to ask him to go ahead with the work on the understanding that he will charge £500.00 for 3 trees and £700.00 for the large tree. Cllr Marion Walker would have liked James to be given the opportunity to requote for the work to the trees.

5. TO CO-OPT A NEW COUNCIL MEMBER TO FILL THE VACANCY

The previous Clerk to Snape Parish Council has declared an interest in becoming the new council member. A vote was taken and the result was unanimous.

6. PLANNING

The Snape Maltings Flood defences was already discussed at a previous meeting.

7. FINANCE a. Statement of accounts

At 20th July 2016 The Business Money Manager held a balance of £30,765.23

At 20th July 2016 The Community Account held a balance of £8,745.85

b. Tennis Court Payment

Cllr Tim Beach reminded the Council that £4,000 was owed to him because of a shortfall in finances and requested that this amount be paid to him when cheques had cleared in the Community Account.

c. Clerks Training

Cheque signed for:

SALC £120.00

d. Grass Cutting

Cheque signed for:

Gary Whiting £210.00

e. Countersignatures for letter to HSBC for statements to be delivered to the

Clerk

Signed

f. Overdue invoice to SALC FOR SUBSCRIPTION TO NALC

Cheque signed for:

SALC £235.37

Proposed: Cllr Tim Beach Seconded: Cllr Mike Hill

8. REPORTS FROM PARISH REPRESENTATIVES

a. Playing Field

Cllr Tim Beach reported that the Tennis Courts are now open. There is a padlock on the gate but Eddie Gillett’s telephone number is on the gate for people to ring. Booking for the Courts has begun but it is work in progress.

Fun Day raised £1,700 for the Playing Field. Cllr Marion Walker asked if the shelter could be repainted.

b. Website

Cllr Neil Parsons spends an hour or more a week on the website which includes adding new content and maintaining, he will support this when he no longer lives in the village if the Council supports the Woodland Site. As this is a village asset a grant of £120 per year will help towards maintain the area.

Cllr Matt Roberts proposed to Pay £120 per year to the Woodland Group.

A vote was taken and it was unanimously in favour.

c. Emergency Planning

Nothing to report.

d. Allotments

Cllr Marion Walker will start arranging meetings with the Allotment holders.

e. Village Hall

When the shop closes a Post Office will open in the Village Hall for two days a week.

f. School

The school is closed for Summer therefore there is no news.

g. Highways/Traffic

It was suggested that the data collected from the speed system should be sent to the police. It was also suggested that a list of County Council footpaths in need of work should be sent to the County Council. Cllr Tim Beach had telephoned them and left his number but at the time of the meeting no one had got back to him.

j. SALC

Nothing to report

k. Alde and Ore Partnership

The planning of the Snape Maltings Flood Defence to be noted.

l. Police

It was stated that there are less PCOs because of lack of money.

9. THE FUTURE OF THE VILLAGE SHOP

A letter was sent to Mr Smith, the owner of the Village Shop premises as to what is to happen to the building. He telephoned to say that two women were interested in opening an up market deli and coffee shop with a post office. His agent is Neil Ackerman Associates based in Framlingham.

Action: The Clerk will write to Neil Ackerman Associates asking for an update on the letting of the premises.

10. REQUEST FOR A MEMORIAL BENCH

An e-mail was sent to Mrs Varley but no reply has been received. It was suggested that maybe a tree could be planted in the Woodland area in memory of Mrs Varley’s father.

Action: Cllr Mary James will follow up on this request.

11. CORRESPONDENCE

A letter was received from Hopkins Homes with a goodwill offer of a cheque to the value of £20,000. It was agreed that a letter would be sent to Hopkins briefly outlining how the Council may use the money.

Action: Cllr Matt Roberts will write the letter to Hopkins.

12. DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Monday 3rd October 2016 7 pm in the Village Hall

Meeting closed at 8.30 pm

Posted in Council Meeting Minutes.