Minutes 11th July 2017

SNAPE PARISH COUNCIL

 

Minutes of the Snape Parish Council Meeting 11th July 2017 7.30pm at Snape Village Hall

 

Present: Cllr. Matt Roberts – Chair, Cllr. Tim Beach – Vice Chair, Cllr Marian Walker, Cllr Mike Hill, Cllr Graham Woodcock, Cllr Mary James, Cllr Melanie Thurston, Cllr Helen Stuart, Cllr Graham Farrant.

 

In attendance: Maureen Philpot – Clerk to the Parish Council.

 

OPEN FORUM

No comments

 

REPORTS FROM DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS

Report from Cllr Andrew Reid

Link: http:/snapevillage.info

 

AGENDA

 

1.APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Cllr Bill Hough, Cllr Russ Rainger, Cllr Andrew Reid.

 

2.DECLARATION OF INTERESTS

Cllr Mike Hill – School

 

3.TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE AGM HELD ON 9TH MAY 2017

The minutes were approved by all Proposed: Cllr Helen Stuart, Seconded: Cllr Tim Beach.

 

4.MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

Cllr Graham Woodcock reported on the grant application for The War Memorial and it appears the Council is not entitled.

Action: Cllr Graham Woodcock will look into raising the funds locally.

 

5.TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE COUNCIL MEETING 30TH JUNE 5.30PM

The minutes were approved by all Proposed: Cllr Helen Stuart Seconded: Cllr Mike Hill.

 

5.MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

Cllr Tim Beach suggested that the Council need to consult HMRC as the Playing Field and Village Hall are owned by Snape Parish Council. He felt that the Council have acted in good faith and complied with the criteria set down in the guidance LTN 21, in his view. It was suggested that Heelis and Lodge be asked to expand on their reasoning given the accounts have previously been approved when VAT has been reclaimed.

Action: Cllr Helen Stuart will write a letter to Heelis and Lodge asking why their criteria has changed.

 

7.PLANNING

Two planning applications had been received and it was decided that no action was required.

 

8.FINANCE                              a.Statement of Accounts

At the 20th June 2017 The Community Account held a balance of £9,785.95

The business money manager account held a balance of £19,777.22

The two building society accounts were with the auditor

b.Payment for grass cutting 4 invoices – Gary Whiting £420

c.Payment for ground maintenance – Vertas £275.44

d.Payment for clerks salary and postage stamps – Maureen Philpot £471.20

e.Payment to HMRC £114.20

f.Travel Expenses and new dog bin – Cllr Melanie Thurston £121.82

g.Payment to Heelis and Lodge – Internal audit £300

h.Payment to Drainage Board – rates £3.53

i. Payment for new window for council notice board – Trade Supply Martlesham £220

 

Proposed: Cllr Tim Beach Seconded: Cllr Helen Stuart

 

9.REPORTS FROM PARISH REPRESENTATIVES

a. Playing Field

It was reported that the roof on the portacabin had been repaired at a cost of £2,500. It had been intended to reclaim the VAT for the work but this will need to await the outcome of any consultation with HMRC. There are still posts to be repaired and Cllr Tim Beach asked for volunteers to set up on Friday 4th August 2017 for the Fun Day.

b.Website

Cllrs Marian Walker and Mary James are meeting with Neil Parson on 2nd August 2017 for training. Cllr Matt Roberts was concerned that at least one of the articles that has appeared on the website has been perceived as being political. Cllr Mary James confirmed that the Council will continue with the current website looked after by Neil Parsons.

c.Emergency Planning

Cllr Tim Beach said there was nothing to report. He said that he had asked Cllr Russ Rainger to be first point of call.  Cllr Russ Rainger was happy with this arrangement.

d.Allottments

There have been a couple of new people taking up allottments and there is to be a meeting in October. Otherwise all well.

e.Village Hall

There was a coffee morning held on 13th July 2017.

f.School

There are 43 children attending the school at present.  There has been discussions about starting a pre-school. Everything is doing well.

g.Highways/traffic

Cllr Matt Roberts said that the signs were working and the batteries for the signs in the village are lasting for three weeks. He was asked if he was happy to continue charging the signs and he said he was. Highways are charging for two posts for the signs on the main highway but as yet an invoice is still to be received.

h.Footpaths

A new dog bin has been purchased for Gromford Lane and it was suggested that a further bin be purchased. Proposed: Cllr Mary James, Seconded: Cllr Marian Walker

Action: Cllr Melanie Thurston will purchase another dog bin.

i.Sizewell

It was agreed that Cllr Russ Rainger respond to an e-mail received from Sizewell and it was suggested that maybe the new liaison person would like to come to a Council meeting.

j.SALC

Nothing to report

k.Alde & Ore Partnership

The Partnership is attempting to raise £10-12 million Pounds. There will be a Pub Quiz night on 23rd November 2017 to raise funds involving 10 pubs on the estuary. The questions will all be about Suffolk and all three pubs in the village are taking part simultaneously. The Four Ferries bike ride will take place on 16th September 2017.

l.Police

No News

 

10.SNAPE BUS ROUTES

It was mentioned  that there is no public transport to Snape Maltings. The Parish Council suggested that the demise of buses through the village might be due to lack of use. A letter was read out from Sue Davey at Connecting Communities and Cllr Graham Woodcock said he would be happy to have a meeting with them.

Action: Cllr Graham Woodcock will write to Sue Davey to arrange dates for a meeting.

11.GRASS CUTTING

There had been an enquiry about grass cutting on the Green in Priors Close and Cllr Tim Beach got in touch with Hopkins Homes who in turn contacted SCC and SCC seem to be cutting the grass at the moment as it had subsequently been cut 3 times.

12.VILLAGE ASSETS

The Council were asked if they were aware of the Asset list. Cllr Melanie Thurston said that the Village Hall should go on the list. Cllr Graham Woodcock said that the Finance Committee should do a risk assessment and have a check list to make sure things are done.  At the end of July there should be an audit by a councillor.

This was agreed by the Council.

13.SHORTCUTS ACROSS CHURCH COMMON

It was said that traffic was taking  a short cut across Church Common, which is private land, but it was unknown who owns the land. The Council questioned whether they have any say in this matter and can they help the residents. It was suggested that the residents block one end and stop the short cut by vehicles. It was suggested that David Chennery be thanked for the work on traffic calming but also pointing out that stopping the bus service will only lead to more  people using their cars.

14.QUOTE FOR NEW COMPUTER ETC.

Further to the council receiving a grant for a new laptop and scanner the clerk put forward quotes for the equipment. An HP Pavilion with Office would cost £629.90 and a Canon Pixma copier, scanner would cost £99.99. This is with the proposed budget. The clerk was told to purchase these items. Proposed: Cllr Tim Beach Seconded: Cllr Graham Woodcock.

15.ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FOR THE INTERNAL AUDITORS REPORT.

Proposed: Cllr Tim Beach Seconded: Cllr Graham Woodcock.

16.NEW COUNCILLOR

Cllr Graham Farrant was welcomed and he signed his declaration of acceptance of office.

17.CORRESPONDENCE

None received.

18.DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Tuesday 29th August 2017 @ 7.30pm

Meeting closed at 8.50 pm.

 

Posted in Council Meeting Minutes.