Church of St John the Baptist, Snape, IP17 1QW
The picture above is from the excellent © Suffolk Churches website
The Church is in the north of the village, at the A1094 crossroads, marked on our Map 1 with letter "J".
The earliest recorded incumbent of Snape was Sir William de Rurcham whose appointment was in 1240. There have been many internal as well as external alterations and restorations since then. The most recent of significance have been the rebuilding of the East wall in 1920, and the installation of a new organ together with improvements to the balcony and vestry at the millennium.
The treasure of the church, despite some mutilation in the past, is undoubtedly the font (pictured left), which was made around 1500 and was at one time gilded.
Visitors are also attracted by the East window, designed and made in 1920 by Mary Lowndes — it carries, in its lower middle panel, a representation of Snape Bridge, as it then was, with a Thames barge in the foreground (pictured far left).
"Mary Lowndes (1857–1929) was ... an influential leader in the Arts and Crafts movement, not only for her stained glass work and successful studio-workshop, but also for opening doors for other women stained glass artists. She was an active participant in the suffragette movement, acting as Chair of the Artists' Suffrage League, and creating poster art to assist the movement." — Wikipedia
Visitors from all over the world, as the entries to the visitors’ book indicate, come to Snape Church. They and those who follow them, whether local residents or holiday-makers, are most welcome whether they come to services or merely to enjoy the calm and peace of their surroundings. The Church is open to visitors during daylight hours.