How to prepare for emergencies
So that you are prepared for emergencies, you may find it useful to put together the following ESSENTIAL ITEMS:
● copies of your home insurance documents;
* Telephones. Modern cordless telephones with a base station and carry-around handsets do not work without mains power. If your telephone or its base station are plugged into the mains, consider buying a corded phone for your emergency kit. This will be powered by the low voltage from the BT socket and will normally work during power outages.
You should also PLAN AHEAD by:
● making a household emergency plan: that and other plans can be found at
● checking your insurance cover;
● making a list of important contact numbers including local Co-ordinators;
● knowing how to turn off your gas, electricity and water mains supplies.
If you are at RISK OF FLOODING, you should also:
● register with the Floodline warning system (see below);
● prepare a flood kit of essential items (as above);
● plan how you would move important or sentimental items to safety,
e.g. treasured mementos like photo albums and family videos;
● think about what else you would move to safety during a flood,
e.g. pets, furniture, electrical equipment, your car.
|Click on the icons below ...|
|... for further guidance on how to plan ahead for flooding ...||... to sign up for UK.GOV
|... and to register with the
Floodline warning system
|© Icon made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com licensed by CC 3.0 BY|